Much of our work involves advising on risk management to avoid problems arising in the first place.
When things go wrong, we can advise you on the best way of resolving a dispute, whether it be through negotiation, mediation or court proceedings. You can rest assured of our track record; we have successfully taken a high profile case (Scottish & Newcastle International Ltd v Othon Ghalanos Ltd) right through the Court of Appeal to the House of Lords, where it settled in our client’s favour.
In terms of avoiding court proceedings, our accredited mediators can advise on alternative dispute resolution and we are well placed to carry out mediation to settle disputes. However, where it is necessary to pursue matters through the courts, we have significant experience of dealing with the County Courts, most divisions of the High Court, also appearing regularly in the Court of Appeal, and dealing with corporate prosecutions for regulatory offences in Magistrates/Crown Court.
Some of the areas in which we can assist:
- Insolvency and recovery – working closely with insolvency practitioners on contentious issues arising from insolvency, including possession of property in bankruptcy cases.
- Intellectual Property – disputes over trademarks, registered and unregistered designs and copyright – for example for bottle designs, shapes etc.
- Disputes arising from secured loans – including recovery of secured and unsecured loans.
- Contractual/Commercial disputes – common issues arising include wrongful termination of distribution agreements, for example with outsourced logistics contracts, as well as disputes with employees.
- Consumer and product liability issues – working closely with your insurers to advise on issues relating to faulty products and misrepresentation.
- Competition/EU – extensive experience of enforcement of the trading tie where it is infringed by tenants or wholesalers. Competition law can also apply to online trading.
- IT Litigation – disputes arising from failed installations and migrations of data, as well as breach of copyright issues.
- Debt Collection – we operate a bespoke and efficient debt collection service on a fixed fee basis.
- Fraud and constructive trust – issues arising from misdirection of monies and payments.
- Consumer finance & money laundering
- Professional Negligence – arising from professional bodies such as accountants, property and construction advisors.
- Enforcement of trading obligations – enforcing the tie/buying out and secondary wholesaling.