LOCOG is aware that pubs and bars will wish to screen Olympic events as they do other major sporting events. This must be balanced with the need to protect the investment of the official sponsors of the Games.
The only way that businesses are allowed to advertise the screening of events is by downloading the official posters which LOCOG has produced, one for the Olympics and one for the Paralympics. However, there are limits on who can use the posters, how many can be displayed and for how long.
Terms and conditions
In order to download a poster an applicant must confirm that it complies with the LOCOG terms and conditions which include the following:
- Posters can be used by bars, pubs, hotel lounges, social or sports clubs but NOT where your primary purpose is as a restaurant or you are part of a franchise chain or business which has multiple locations identified under the same name/brand
- Screenings must be free of charge
- It must be usual for the establishment to screen events for clients – i.e. not just a one-off for the Olympics
- You may print off posters in black and white or colour but may not edit them at all or copy them for or sell them to anyone else
- Only one poster may be displayed at each public entrance to the premises and posters must be removed within 24 hours of the last screening of an Olympic event.
Posters (and terms and conditions) are available HERE
For further information on advertising Olympic events see Kimbells article: “Careful promotion will win Olympic Gold”
The content of this page is a summary of the law in force at the present time and is not exhaustive, nor does it contain definitive advice. Specialist legal advice should be sought in relation to any queries that may arise.